Stock photography is a way for photographers to market their images, vectors and videos. Photographer retains possession of copyright and grants the use of photography to the buyer by a wide variety of licenses.
The companies that are dedicated to commercialize stock photographs work by volume, a large number of photographers send their snapshots through their Internet connection.
Then Stock photos are images, vectors and videos that anyone can license for creative use.
Stock photos types?
There are three main styles, each with different license rules:
- Right Managed
- Public Domain
Who can sell stock photos?
stock photos vs hiring photographer?
Tips for Better Stock Photos
Keep it authentic and natural: We are constantly asked for images of people that look authentic. Please try to avoid stiff poses and forced smiles. Instead capture genuine interactions and moments between models whenever possible.
Keep it up-to-date: Outfits, equipment and technology need to reflect current trends and fashions. Use the highest production quality you possibly can.
The legal stuff: Be sure to check site locations for commercial shoot policies, and acquire the correct releases wherever necessary and remember that model releases are required for all models.
What kind of stock images sell?
- young families and older families with teens
- at home both indoors at out; on vacation; at a park
- using technology; eating and preparing meals; parents helping kids doing
- school work;
- business people, couples, singles, families – range of ages
- at sidewalk cafés, in shopping districts and at markets
- park scenes
- using public transportation – not just for business commuting but also for
- errands, etc
- city views, skylines as well as sights and street scenes
Holidays & Celebrations - with local flair!
- birthday parties - gift giving, opening gifts, reading cards. “Balada,”
- brigadeiro, BBQ, balloons, etc.
- religious rites and celebrations around them; baptism, first communion, etc
Business & Finance
Make sure to take advantage of regional locations by using backgrounds, landmarks, and neighborhoods incidentally in the shots.
At the Office
- adults all ages; individuals and groups; all situations; in suits and business casual
- modern office environments as well as hip loft-like spaces with older architecture typical to a location (i.e. Buenos Aires)
- corporate as well as small businesses
- using technology (must be current!)
- power lunches; coffee or water breaks
- meetings and presentations
- interviewing for a job
- environmental portraits
- employee receiving an incentive, reward, award, or gift
Powerful Women in the Workplace
- ages 30 – 50
- leading meetings and giving presentations
- interacting in the office
- using technology
- executive-style portrait
- celebrating a victory
- men and women 30-50
- off to the gym at lunch
- healthy snacks/lunch at desk
- trying balance family and work (working at home)